Friday, January 30, 2009

Great News!

Yesterday I received a note from Principal Tanya Davis, on the heroic behavior of two Celia Clinton Elementary students.

Recently, the Rotary Club of Tulsa purchased Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog, a children’s fire safety book, for each of Davis’ students. Sparkles, being the ever faithful fire safety educator that she is, made the trip with me to share her book and fire safety messages at the school.

Below is Principal Davis’ note: “The other day one of our Kindergarten student’s house caught fire in the middle of the night. She and her father both escaped. The father spent a few days in ICU for smoke inhalation on a ventilator. After a few days out, she came back to school and I had the chance to talk with her. I asked her how she got out of the house. She said, "I crawled on the floor just like Sparkles taught me to." She got down on the floor and demonstrated it to me right in the office floor. She said "smoke was everywhere and I stayed low to get away from it." I knew you would want to hear that!

Then, I was walking down the hallway on Monday and one of my third graders came running up to me and said, "Mrs. Davis, my microwave caught on fire and I grabbed my brothers and sisters and we got out of the house because we saw smoke." She took a quick breath and then said, "Sparkles taught us to get out quick, so we ran outside. My mom couldn't find us because we were all outside." She said "Firefighter Dayna and Sparkles would be very proud of us." I told her I would email you and let you know about this.” Sparkles and I are thankful that the children and their families are safe. We appreciate Principal Davis for sharing this fire safety story!

Here are three news stories from Tulsa stations:

Video #1
Video #2
Video #3

A few pictures from the event on November 24 may be seen HERE.
An article in the Tulsa World appeared on November 25th. It may be read HERE.

More videos and pictures coming soon.